The Xbox family of consoles has been geared around this always-online type of service for a long time, but sometimes, you don’t want to appear online while using your Xbox Series X|S.
Whether you just fancy playing on your own or want to watch a movie undisturbed, you can alter your status to ‘Appear offline’ whenever you want.
Here’s how to appear offline on the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S:
- Return to the Home screen by pressing the Xbox button on the controller and then selecting ‘Home;’
- Navigate to the top left of the screen and select your profile tile;
- In the side window that appears, scroll to the bottom and change the ‘Appear online’ option to ‘Appear offline’ or ‘Do not disturb.’
When using this status setting, you can continue to play online games and have your Xbox Series X|S connected to the internet. All that will change is that your friends will see your status as ‘Offline.’
To change your status back to ‘Appear online,’ repeat the steps shown above to change your status.
How to take your Xbox Series X or S offline entirely
Alternatively, if you just want to take the whole Xbox console offline so that you can’t receive any messages or updates, follow these instructions:
- Press the Xbox button on the controller, go to ‘Profile & system’ and pick ‘Settings;’
- In the ‘General’ section, select ‘Network settings;’
- On the next screen, down the right-hand column, select the option to ‘Go offline.’
After going offline, you can go back to the same menu and select the ‘Go online’ option to connect to the internet again.
As you can see, it’s a straightforward process to appear offline on the Xbox Series X|S, and it’s just as easy to change your status back to being online.
*Outsider Gaming may receive a small commission if you click a link from one of our articles onto a retail website and make a purchase. All prices listed were accurate at the time of publishing.