With a new PlayStation comes a new PlayStation controller, but instead of another iteration of the DualShock, the PlayStation 5 comes with the first DualSense controller.
Featuring haptic feedback, adaptive triggers, and a new Mic button, the DualSense controller is one of the most exciting aspects of the new PS5 hardware. However, it isn’t of any use unless you know how to connect it to your console.
Here’s how to connect your DualSense controller to the PlayStation 5:
- Ensure that your DualSense controller is turned off;
- Turn on your PlayStation 5 by pressing the power button on the front of the console;
- Plug the USB-A to USB-C cable included in the PS5 box into the console’s USB port;
- Plug the other end of the cable into the port at the top of the DualSense controller;
- Turn on the DualSense controller by pressing its PS button (found between the analogues);
- The DualSense controller will remain connected to the PS5 after you unplug the USB-A to USB-C cable.
Should the controllers and console fail to connect, repeat the steps above, making sure that the controllers are off (not showing any lights behind the TouchPad) when you plug them into the PS5.
How to charge your PS5 DualSense controllers
When your DualSense controllers start to run low on battery, simply plug them back into the PS5 by using the USB-A to USB-C cable.
You could also buy a controller charging dock for the PlayStation 5. The accessory connects to the console via one USB plug, but the dock can charge several PS5 controllers at once.
So that you can charge your controllers while not actively using the console, you can set the PS5 to supply power to the USB ports while in Rest Mode.
To charge PS5 controllers while in Rest Mode, you need to:
- Select ‘Settings’ from the top right of the PlayStation 5 home screen;
- Press X on ‘System;’
- Scroll down to ‘Power Saving’ from the ‘System’ menu;
- Click on ‘Features Available in Rest Mode;’
- Switch the setting of ‘Supply Power to USB Ports’ from ‘Off’ to ‘3 Hours’ or ‘Always;’
- Press the PS button on your DualSense controller;
- Move down to the control bar and then find ‘Power’ on the right side;
- Press X on ‘Power’ and then on ‘Enter Rest Mode;’
- Connect the controller to the console via the USB-A to USB-C cable to charge your PS5 DualSense controller.
That’s all there is to connecting and charging your wireless DualSense controllers on the PlayStation 5.
Subscribe to our newsletter for all the latest gaming deals and exclusive offers.