Following on from the PlayStation 4’s DualShock controller introducing the ‘Share’ button, the PlayStation 5’s DualSense features the ‘Create’ button with enhanced functionality.
Found in the same position on the DualSense controller (on the left, above the d-pad), the Create button allows you to quickly snap a screenshot, start recording, or save some recent gameplay.
Here’s how to take a screenshot on the PlayStation 5:
- When playing a game, press and hold the Create button on the new DualSense controller;
- You’ll hear a shutter noise to confirm that the image has been captured, as well as an image icon in the top right of the screen;
- Alternatively, you can tap the Create button to freeze the game and bring up the capture bar, and then press X on ‘Take Screenshot.’
Here’s how to record a video clip on the PlayStation 5:
- Press the Create button on the DualSense controller to bring up the capture bar;
- Select ‘Start New Recording’ to save upcoming gameplay;
- Select ‘Save Recent Gameplay’ to save a video clip of something that just happened.
The Create button allows you to quickly and easily save gameplay clips and screenshots; then, you can edit and share your favourite PlayStation moments.
The Create button on the PS5 DualSense controller is an evolution of the Share button on PS4 controllers. Found to the left of the TouchPad and to the top-right of the d-pad, the Create button is marked by three vertical lines.
By tapping the Create button, you’ll bring up the capture bar at the bottom of the screen to choose from the screenshot and recording options. By holding the Create button, you can take a screenshot without stopping your gameplay.
How to view PS5 screenshots and recordings
To see all of the screenshot images and video recording clips from your gameplay, you need to:
- Press the Create button on the DualSense controller;
- Navigate to the left side and press X on the image window;
- On the next screen, select ‘Go to Media Gallery’ to see all of your images;
- Alternatively, you can return to the PlayStation 5 home screen (hold the PS button on the controller) and scroll across the apps to the ‘Media Gallery.’
From the Media Gallery screen, you can view, edit, share, and delete your PlayStation 5 captures.
How to record PlayStation 5 gameplay in 4K
To enable you to record your gameplay footage in 4K on the PS5, you’ll need to do the following:
- Press the Create button to bring up the capture bar;
- Go to the right side and select the options menu (marked by the sliders icon);
- Scroll down to ‘Manual Recording Resolution’ and select 3840 x 2160 (4K resolution);
- Now, the next time you ‘Start New Recording’ or ‘Save Recent Gameplay,’ it’ll be saved in 4K.
How to upload PS5 screenshots and clips to your computer
You can upload all of your gameplay clips and screenshots to your computer by following these simple steps:
- Get a storage device that’s compatible with the USB port on the front of the PS5;
- Insert the storage device into your PlayStation 5;
- Navigate to the Media Gallery via the PlayStation’s home screen or from the capture bar brought up by pressing the Create button on your controller;
- Scroll down the left side and press the ‘Select Multiple’ option (the checkbox icon);
- Pick which screenshots and clips that you want to upload to your computer by pressing X on them, or press ‘Select All;’
- Next, go down the right side to the ‘…’ button, and then press X on ‘Copy to USB Drive;’
- After confirming the copy, your PS5 gameplay clips and captures will begin to upload to your USB drive;
- When the process has completed, you can remove the storage device and plug it into your computer to gain access to all of your PlayStation 5 captures.
By uploading your gameplay clips and images to your computer, you can then edit the images, upload them to your phone, and share them online.
How to record gameplay with commentary and chat on the PS5
A new addition to the DualSense controller is the Mic button. Found just below the PS button on the front of the PS5 controller, you can click the button to toggle its microphone.
By default, the PlayStation 5 controller’s mic is turned off. When you click the Mic button, the orange light turns off, and then the DualSense controller can record and relay whatever you say to video clips and your fellow players.
If you want your gameplay recordings to include your commentary while playing on the PlayStation 5, do the following:
- Turn on your microphone by pressing the Mic button;
- Press the Create button to bring up the capture bar;
- Navigate to the bottom right and select the options menu (marked by the sliders icon);
- Scroll down to ‘Include Your Mic’s Audio’ and press X to turn the option on;
- Press O and select ‘Start New Recording;’
- You can also include everything that’s said in your group chat by switching on ‘Include Party Audio’ from the same options menu.
If the Mic recording option is already selected and your Mic button is switched on, you can select ‘Save Recent Gameplay’ to record previous footage with your commentary and chat.
Whether you want to bring your screenshots to your computer or record your gameplay footage in glorious 4K resolution, you now know how to take, manage, and share your PlayStation 5 captures.
*Outsider Gaming may receive a small commission if you click a link from one of our articles onto a retail website and make a purchase. All prices listed were accurate at the time of publishing.