Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl have only been available worldwide for a few short days, but keen players have already discovered a way to clone Pokémon and duplicate items.
Duplication has a storied history in Pokémon games, as these methods go all the way back to the fabled MissingNo. in the original Pokémon Red and Blue. However, the how to clone Pokémon in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl method is even more complicated this time.
While this existing glitch could be addressed in a future update, players who wish to use the clone Pokémon glitch in the future would be able to acquire the physical version of Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl and choose to play without updating the title via an online connection to continue using the exploit.
How to clone Pokémon in Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl
If you want to try and clone Pokémon in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, you’ll first need to be far enough in the game that you can go to Solaceon Town and have access to the Pokémon Nursery – often referred to as the Day Care.
The other catch with this method is that you’ll need a Pokémon to waste, as you will essentially be tricking the game into writing one Pokémon’s details onto another. If you need extras to use for this method, stock up on Quick Balls in Pastoria City, Celestic Town, Canalave City, Snowpoint City, or at the Pokémon League to catch weak spares in bulk.
While this method sounds complicated and a bit difficult to grasp at first, there isn’t any timing mechanic, so you can familiarize yourself with the process and take your time with each step as you trigger the cloning.
Also, make sure that you don’t have any Pokémon already in the Nursery and that your Team 1 in Battle Teams is empty in your PC before starting the process.
Once you’ve got what you need, head to the Pokémon Nursery, step inside, and follow these steps closely:
- Place one random Pokémon in the bottom right corner of Box 2 in your PC;
- Place one random Pokémon in the bottom right corner of Box 3 in your PC;
- Press X twice to view Battle Teams, and place the random Pokémon from Box 3 in Team 1;
- Back out of your PC, then speak to the Pokémon Nursery Lady, and choose ‘Yes’ to leave a Pokémon with her;
- When selecting, hover your cursor over the random Pokémon in Box 2 of your PC;
- Press A twice to select that random Pokémon from Box 2;
- Move your cursor down and select Box List;
- Move your cursor up until it’s hovering over Box 2;
- Press Y to select Box 2, then move to hover over Box 3, and press Y a second time to swap them;
- Press B twice and A once to exit from the Pokémon Nursery selection screen;
- Confirm your Pokémon with the Pokémon Nursery Lady and pay the $500;
- Open back up your PC, press X twice, and you’ll see a modern MissingNo. glitch in the bottom of that list;
- Place your burner Pokémon (the one that will be DELETED to create a clone) in the Team 1 list of Battle Teams;
- It is VERY IMPORTANT to make sure the one you place at this time is intended to be deleted and overwritten;
- The SECOND Pokémon that you place in the Team 1 list of Battle Teams should be the one that you want to create a clone of;
- After placing that second in the list, hover over it, press A once, and then go down and press A to View Summary;
- Press B to back out of the Summary, and you will see the Pokémon has successfully been cloned;
- Deregister both the newly cloned and original Pokémon from your Battle Teams to clear things up for the next time that you intend to do this;
- You now know how to clone Pokémon in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl! Celebrate your success by repeating the process above!
As a note, the use of Box 2 and Box 3 here is for ease of explanation, as this glitch will work with any two boxes as long as they have Pokémon placed in identical locations and are swapped by using the how to clone Pokémon in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl method above.
For an additional hand to see how to clone Pokémon in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, check out this video below from Orcastraw:
How to duplicate items for unlimited Master Balls and money in Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl
The extra fantastic news about this Pokémon cloning glitch in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl is that it also successfully duplicates any item that the cloned Pokémon is holding. This opens up a whole world of possibilities.
At the very top of the list for most trainers is the lone Master Ball rewarded during the story: this can be duplicated using the cloning method above. This is especially handy if you plan to do any shiny hunting in the wild, as it lets you stock up on Master Balls to use on any shiny Pokémon that you encounter.
If you want to get loads of money in Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, you can also utilize this Pokémon cloning glitch to duplicate any expensive in-game item and then sell it in bulk. Going with something extremely valuable like a Big Nugget would be the best choice as the method will allow you to acquire the most value quickly.
As mentioned above, you may need to stock up on Quick Balls and catch some Pokémon in bulk to continue having ones to burn through this cloning process, and getting some extra cash can offset that and help you to keep this process moving.
Any in-game item that can be given to a Pokémon to hold, even scarce ones like the Rare Candy, Shiny Stone, or PP Max, can be duplicated indefinitely by following how to clone Pokémon in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl method.
Now that you know how to clone Pokémon and duplicate items in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, you can stuff your team with legendaries or the best starters, as well as fill your bag with cash and Master Balls.