As soon as you’ve made your way out of the Knight Academy in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, you’ll meet Horwell, who’ll soon offer you a quick side quest.
Your task is to bring back headmaster Gaepora’s pet, Mia, which is a cat-like creature that’s resting on a nearby roof. Due to where the camera shows you to go, it can be confusing to know how to get Mia.
So, here’s a step-by-step guide to getting the headmaster’s pet and bringing it back to Horwell.
How to retrieve Mia for Horwell in Skyward Sword HD
To retrieve Mia for Horwell and complete the side quest, you need to:
- Walk towards the doors behind Horwell and dash (move and hold B) up onto the higher ledge on the left;
- While grabbing onto the ledge, shimmy to the left with the left analogue and then press B to drop down onto the platform;
- Dash to jump across the platforms, and on the final platform, turn towards the building and move towards the climbing vines;
- At the top, go towards the crate. Grab it (hold A) and then move it towards the wall by pushing the left analogue;
- Dash to climb the crate and then the roof. You’ll see Mia to your right;
- Pickup Mia by pressing A, turn around, and head through the arches on the other side of the roof;
- Horwell will be on your right, so approach him with Mia and put the pet down (A) to complete the side quest.
Once you’ve handed Mia over to Horwell, they’ll reward you with a Red Rupee, which is worth 20 Rupees.
Horwell also requests that you go to the Statue of the Goddess to inform the headmaster that you’ve found his pet.
However, not only does this tie into the main story – meeting Gaepora at the statue – but you also don’t get any more rewards for talking to the headmaster and then Horwell again afterwards.
That’s all that there is to retrieving the pet at the start of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD. So, now you’ve completed the first side quest of the game.