Just over one week after early access for the game kicked off, MLB The Show 23 update 1.02 patch notes have arrived with official details on the first major round of bug fixes to hit platforms. With significant updates to several game modes this year, a few issues lingering at launch is to be expected.
Fortunately, Sony San Diego appears to have been hard at work cleaning up what has already been a fairly stable game since it arrived. If a particular issue has been popping up for you, the official MLB The Show 23 update 1.02 patch notes will reveal if it’s been addressed yet.
In this article you will learn:
- The download size and version numbers for this new update
- The complete MLB The Show 23 update 1.02 patch notes
- If any gameplay balance changes have been made
Also read: MLB The Show 23 hitting controls guide
MLB The Show 23 update 1.02 deployed with gameplay fixes
For the first time since launching worldwide, changes are on the way as MLB The Show 23 update 1.02 patch notes have been confirmed by Sony San Diego as this latest patch has now deployed across all platforms. The relatively substantial download clocked in at 2.733 GB on PlayStation 5 and should be similar in size on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.
While officially Game Update 2 for Sony San Diego, this puts MLB The Show 23 into Version 1.02 on PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch, Version 1.002 on PlayStation 5, and Version 1.059 on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S. While additions like the Negro Leagues made this a near-perfect release, even polished games can get cleaner after arrival.
In addition to detailed notes on what’s been changed, the developers further clarified that no gameplay balance changes have been made so far. Generally, Sony San Diego will wait at least a few weeks into the year to gather more information about how gameplay is affecting players before making balance changes. Since it’s been less than a week since the game was available to all players, additional data will allow them to further confirm if any potential changes are the right course of action.
Also read: MLB The Show 23 pitching controls guide
Without further ado, here are the complete and official MLB The Show 23 update 1.02 patch notes:
- Two-way players can no longer exist as both Pitcher and Position players on the field at the same time.
- Fixed an issue where the Rally Monkey Quirk was displaying the incorrect quirk icon.
- Fixed an issue that caused CPU controlled teams to wear the team’s default Home or Road uniform instead of the uniform chosen by the user while selecting teams.
- Removed UI blur from the Community Market when placing Buy/Sell Orders.
- Improved UI speed for Conquest mode in Diamond Dynasty.
- The appropriate team colors and logos are now properly displayed in WBC moments.
- Fixed a bug that would show incorrect team logos and game summaries in Mini Seasons.
- Fixed an issue that was preventing users from equipping custom uniforms.
- Umpires now show the proper animations when reacting to appeals on a check swing.
- Fixed an issue where pitches would “jump” and land far from their intended location.
- Fixed an issue where players were unable to exit the bullpen quick menu.
- Fixed an issue where quick shift artwork could remain on screen.
- Fixed an issue where bullpen displays could remain on screen after returning to the game.
- Removed the option to use created stadiums to prevent cross-gen matchmaking issues.
- General gameplay stability improvements.
- Fixed an issue where fielders would be in different defensive shift positions based on user settings.
- Fixed an issue where the “can’t pitch” icon could remain on screen.
- Stability fixes added in the pitcher selection screen.
- Improved stability and resolved various bugs that could cause freezes during gameplay.
- Added wall sorting and height options.
- Fixed an issue which was allowing users to exceed the maximum prop limit.
- Fixed an issue that allowed some props to enter the field of play.
- Fixed an issue with illuminated props during night mode.
- Light towers can no longer interfere with the batter’s eye.
- Improved lighting for night games.
- Various stability fixes.
- Various prop fixes
Road To The Show
- Removed an inaccurate description when exiting a tutorial.
- Updated areas where pitching ratings were displayed incorrectly in the Ballplayer HUB.
- “Clutch” is now displayed as “P Clutch” for pitchers.
- Fixed an issue where users were not being rewarded properly for getting walked with bases loaded.
- Equipped Bat Tape Style now displays correctly when entering a game.
- Fixed an issue where users were unable to advance back to the MLB after being sent down to Triple-A.
- All Star socks will now display correctly.
March to October and Franchise
- Hall of Fame inductees will now show their correct positions in the Team Achievements screen.
- Hall of Fame inductees that were free agents at the time of their retirement will now be displayed under the team they played for most recently in the Team Achievements screen.
- Fixed a soft lock that occurred after simulating into future years in Franchise.
- Two-way players will now stay in the game as a DH when taken out as a pitcher during the All-Star Game.
- Fixed an issue where some prospects had inflated contracts.
- Modern crowds are now shown when selecting an NLB stadium after relocating a team.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when entering a team’s depth chart.
- Custom team logos will now be displayed properly during the Amateur Draft.
- Users now have the ability to manually fix AA playoff rosters after the MLB regular season has ended.
- Fixed an issue where pinch hitters were being forced to stay in the game as pitchers when the DH rule was turned off.
- General stability improvements.
- Fixed an issue where stubs were not properly updating after completing Storylines moments.
- Various quality of life improvements.
Home Run Derby
- Opponent home runs will now tally correctly.
- Fixed an issue that would display incorrect team matchups when scrolling through the calendar.
- Fixed a typo in Dynamic Challenges.
- Fixed a visual bug where strikes were being called as balls in Options Explorer.
- Improved crowd lighting in replays.
- Graphical improvements to skin textures for created players.
- Updated over 500 player portrait images with new 2023 photos. These images can be seen throughout the game in various areas.
- Updated various typos throughout the game.
- The size of the scoreboard at Citi Field has been reduced.
- Added a new AR scoreboard presentation.
- Various presentation bug fixes and polish.
For most players, the update will likely have already deployed and downloaded in the background. However, you may be prompted to update prior to being able to launch the game or go online while it’s active. If you find yourself struggling with anything after the update, you can check our MLB The Show 23 controls guide to confirm whether the issue is indeed a bug that Sony San Diego needs to address in their next update.
This post is also available in: