To play on the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, you’ll need to know your Microsoft account password, but if you want to add another tier of security, you can use the passkey feature on the console.
On this page, you can find out how to change your Xbox password, how to reset your password if you’ve forgotten it, and everything that you need to know about using a passkey.
Here’s how to change your Xbox Series X|S password:
- Via your smartphone or computer, sign-in to your Microsoft account with your Xbox email and password via this link;
- Scroll down and select ‘Security,’ and then ‘Password security;’
- Find the ‘Password security’ box and select ‘Change my password;’
- Verify your account, type in your current password, and then fill in the boxes for your new password;
- To change your password, select ‘Save;’
- Your Xbox password will now be changed to your new password.
As your Xbox account is an extension of your Microsoft account, whenever you want to change your Xbox Series X or S password, you need to change your Microsoft password.
If you’ve forgotten your Xbox password, you’ll need to know your Xbox account’s email – which you can see at the top left of the Home screen – and then follow this link to the ‘Recover your account’ window.
How to use a passkey on an Xbox Series X or S
If you want to add password protection within the Xbox Series X or S console, you’ll need to set-up a passkey. Here’s how to use a passkey on either Xbox console:
- Press the Xbox button on your controller, then go to the right to ‘Profile & system;’
- Select ‘Settings;’
- Scroll down to ‘Account’ and click on ‘Sign-in, security & passkey;’
- Select ‘Create my passkey’ to make your six-digit passkey using the buttons on your controller;
- If your account already has a passkey attached, the box will read ‘Delete my passkey’ – do so to change your passkey and create a new one.
- Select ‘Change my sign-in & security preferences;’
- You can pick any preset passkey set-up, but it’s best to go to the right and select ‘Customise;’
- Select which Xbox actions you’d like to be passkey protected by changing the ‘Choose option’ function at the base of each preference;
- When you’re finished, press B to back out from the passkey customisation page.
This should set each of the selected areas as requiring a passkey. To make sure that the passkey has stuck, try out some of the functions, such as by trying to make a purchase from the store.
Now that you know how to change your password and set a passkey, you can ensure that your Xbox Series X|S is secure.