As an online-connected multimedia platform, the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S can end up running slow with all of the content that it runs.
If freeing up some space by deleting unnecessary apps doesn’t help, you can speed-up the performance of your Xbox Series X or S by clearing its cache.
Here’s how to clear cache of your Xbox Series X|S:
- Press the Xbox button on your controller, go to the ‘Profile & system’ panel, and select ‘Settings;’
- Scroll down to ‘System’ and select ‘Console info;’
- Click on ‘Reset console’ and then pick ‘Reset and Keep My Games & Apps.’
Be sure to have your Xbox account log-in details ready because performing this soft reset will then require you to sign-in again.
Alternatively, you could run a total hard reset, but that would take you back to the Xbox Series X|S factory settings.
We also have some other ways that you can go about clearing your cache, should you not want to go through the sign-in process again.
How to clear cache on the Xbox Series X and S with a cold restart
To clear the cache of your Xbox Series X|S with a cold restart, you need to:
- Hold down the Xbox power button on your console until it switches off;
- Once the Xbox Series X or S is off, unplug the power cable from the console or socket;
- Leave the console unplugged for a couple of minutes;
- Plug in the power cable of the Xbox Series X|S and turn on the console.
Performing this cold restart on your Xbox Series X or S will at least clear some of the console’s cache.
How to clear the persistent storage of an Xbox Series X or S
Some Blu-ray discs download related content when used on the Xbox Series X|S. To clear this persistent storage, follow these steps:
- Press the Xbox button on your controller, move right to ‘Profile & system,’ and pick ‘Settings;’
- Scroll down to ‘Devices & connections’ and then select ‘Blu-ray;’
- Choose the ‘Persistent storage’ option and then ‘Clear Persistent Storage’ when prompted.
Having your persistent storage fill up can present the same effects as having a heavy cache, so clearing your persistent storage can deliver the speed increases that a clear cache offers.
If your Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S is running a little slow, use the steps above to reap the benefits of a clear cache or an empty persistent storage file.
*Outsider Gaming may receive a small commission if you click a link from one of our articles onto a retail website and make a purchase. All prices listed were accurate at the time of publishing.