Some Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S owners have had Xbox accounts since the glory days of the Xbox 360.
Be it due to an issue with the log-in, having a friend’s account signed-in, or just wanting a clean slate, several users come to a point when they want to delete their Xbox account and profile to start a new one.
To delete an Xbox account from the Series X|S, you need to:
- Press the Xbox button on the controller and go to the rightmost tab of ‘Profile & System;’
- Select ‘Settings;’
- Go into the ‘Account’ section and click on ‘Remove accounts;’
- Find the account that you want to delete from the Xbox Series X or S;
- Select the account and then press ‘Remove’ to delete the account from the console.
After you delete the account from your Xbox Series X or S in this way, it won’t appear on your console anymore. It’s a necessary step if you want to clear some clutter or stop sharing games with your friends.
However, your Xbox account will still exist as a part of your total Microsoft account. So, if you want to delete your Xbox Series X|S account permanently, you’ll need to delete your Microsoft account.
How to permanently delete your Xbox account
To permanently delete your Xbox account, you’ll need to use your smartphone or computer to delete the associated Microsoft account, as follows:
- Have the correct email and password for the Xbox account that you want to delete;
- Follow this link to close your account with Microsoft;
- Sign-in with the same details as the Xbox account that you want to delete;
- Press ‘Next’ at the foot of the ‘Make sure you’re ready to close’ page;
- Go through the list, check all of the boxes, and ‘Select a reason’ at the bottom;
- Press the ‘Mark account for closure’ button.
In deleting your Microsoft account, you will permanently delete your Xbox Series X|S account. However, it will also delete all of your other Microsoft-tied accounts, including: OneDrive, Skype, Outlook, Hotmail, MSN, and Microsoft rewards.
So, follow the instructions above if you want to delete your profile from your Xbox Series X and S or permanently delete your Xbox account.
*Outsider Gaming may receive a small commission if you click a link from one of our articles onto a retail website and make a purchase. All prices listed were accurate at the time of publishing.