So much of the Xbox product and its games are geared towards the online multiplayer experience, which is always more fun alongside people you know.
It’s just as easy to add friends on the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S as it was on the Xbox One consoles – all you need is your friend’s GamerTag.
To add friends on the Xbox Series X or S, you need to:
- Sign-in with the Xbox account that you want to use to add friends;
- Press the Xbox button on your controller, go to the ‘People’ tab and pick ‘Find someone;’
- Start typing-in the GamerTag of your friend;
- Below, the list of people with matching GamerTags will appear;
- When you spot your friend, press B to drop the keyboard and then press A on their profile;
- Scroll down to ‘Add friend.’
The GamerTag will then be added to your list of friends, so you can easily communicate with them, see their activity, and join or invite them to games.
How to add Xbox Series X and S friends from your smartphone
You don’t have to be on your Xbox Series X or S to add friends to your list. To add friends via your smartphone, follow these steps:
- Install the Xbox app from the App Store or Play Store;
- Open the Xbox app, sign-in with your Xbox Series X|S account;
- Press the ‘Search’ button (a magnifying glass) along the bottom bar;
- Type your friend’s GamerTag into the search bar at the top;
- Tap on the GamerTag profile and then press ‘Add Friend.’
How to add friends to a party on Xbox Series X|S
To create a party and add friends to the party on an Xbox Series X or S, you’ll need an Xbox Live or Xbox Game Pass subscription. If you want to chat, you’ll also need a headset with a microphone. Next, you need to:
- Press the Xbox button on the controller, go to ‘Parties & chats’ and select ‘Start a party;’
- Use the ‘Invite more’ option to add friends to your party;
- When your friends accept the invites, they’ll join your party;
- To add more friends later, press the Xbox button on your controller, go to ‘People,’ select ‘Friends,’ and then press X on their profiles to ‘Invite to your party.’
How to invite friends to a game on Xbox Series X and S
If you’re in a game and want your friends to join you, it’s quick and easy to send them an invite on the Xbox Series X|S. Here’s how to get your friends into the same game that you’re playing:
- Start the game that you want to play with a friend;
- Press the Xbox button on the controller, find the ‘People’ tab, and then select ‘Friends;’
- Move to the profile of the friend that you want to invite to a game and press A;
- Go to the ‘Invite’ dropdown and select ‘Invite to a game.’
For you to be able to initiate the invitation to a friend to play a game, you’ll need to have the game loaded to the main menu or beyond.
How to add people you’re playing with as friends on Xbox Series X|S
Sometimes, you’ll find that the best people to play alongside in online multiplayer games aren’t your friends, but would be worthy additions to your friends list.
To add players who you’ve gamed with to your friends list on the Xbox Series X or S:
- Press the Xbox button on your controller, go to the ‘People’ tab;
- Select ‘Recently played with;’
- Find the GamerTag that you want to add as a friend and select them from the list.
Now you know how to add friends on the Xbox Series X and S, as well as how to create parties and get them into your games.
*Outsider Gaming may receive a small commission if you click a link from one of our articles onto a retail website and make a purchase. All prices listed were accurate at the time of publishing.